Big weekend of MSE action

Previous articleWin puts a hold on retirement
Next articleGala on song

Nangwarry v Tantanoola

It was a result that many would not have predicted in round 10 of the Mid South Eastern Football League with Nangwarry claimingg a historic win by 10 points over Tantanoola.

The Saints burst out of the blocks early with a five goal to two first quarter to stun the Tigers and show some gusto heading into the first break with a handy 19-point buffer.

The Tigers regrouped at the first break and gained some ascendancy to outscore the Saints four goals to two in the second quarter to set up a tantalising finale with the Saints only leading by four points at the main break.

But the hosts sensed something special and played with fight and pride to match the contests all over the ground and retained an 11-point lead going into the final change by putting through three majors to the Tigers’ two.

Going into the last quarter with the lead the Nangwarry faithful were hopeful and on the edge of their seats with the long-awaited win within their grasp.

It was neck-and-neck in the last with both sides scoring in front of the big sticks and making a tight contest to build the tension on and off the field.

But at the final siren it was an eruption of excitement from all in the Nangwarry camp as the Saints secured the victory by 10 points.

Andrew Hyland was the Nangwarry hero who kicked five goals with support from Joel Virtanen, Jack Pudney, Isaac Raymond and Logan Gibbs, while the Tigers’ better performers were Alec Roberts, Ellis Cushion, Darcy Pink and Braydn Reilly.

The celebrations may still be taking place with the Saints scoring a win for the ages.

Glencoe v Kalangadoo

The league leaders in Kalangadoo asserted its authority with a big 108-point win over Glencoe.

The Murphies were no match for the Magpies and only managed to split the big sticks four times for the entire game.

The black and white started slow but picked up the goal kicking attack in the second quarter to pile on seven goals to one and take a 60-point lead into the main break before going on to complete a percentage boosting win.

Glencoe’s better players on the day were Declan Hurley, Patrick Mitchell, Zacc Cocks and Tory Weaver, while for Kalangadoo Michael Krieger was sharp in front again with five majors and Ben Gregory, Alex Lyon, Lachy Jones and Tye McManus also performed.

Port MacDonnell V Kongorong

The reigning premiers Port MacDonnell got off to a flying start in the first quarter with a six goal to two term against Kongorong.

The Demons were on the move in boggy conditions and made the most of the opportunities through ruckman Will Macdonald, who was thumping the ball forward and giving the smaller “Bay” players the chance to run onto the ball.

Kongorong started slowly after having a two week break with a bye and conceded a 29 point lead before the first break.

But the Hawks welcomed some players back from injury and built some good patches by using the corridor of the ground to put through two majors to keep up with the home team in the second term.

A tackle made by Kongorong playing coach Cam Sandercock sparked tensions and then players got into a heated jumper ripping scrap.

The Demons showcased their home ground advantage in the ‘premiership quarter’ and shared the ball around.

To compound matters for Kongorong, two players had eyes for the ball and came together in a sickening head clash.

Luckily for both they got up and one went on to play out the game while the other was forced to recover on the sidelines.

The Demons had the measure of the Hawks defence with big man Tim Sullivan providing headaches with his height kicking four alongside Kev Thomson.

The game looked sealed at three quarter time with a 37-point lead, but Kongorong made an almighty comeback.

The Hawks were all over the ground with a dominant display during a five-goal burst to stun the reigning premiers.

But the home side had done enough in the other three quarters to run out winners by a mere nine points at the final siren.

For the Hawks, Paul Elllis made a return from injury to be named best alongside Harry Evans, Fraser Brewster, Matt Cordy and Michael Waters while Macdonald, Wade Chant, Rhys Timms and Ben O’Dine helped Port MacDonnell get over the line.

Hatherleigh v Mt Burr

Mount Burr has sent another warning out to the rest of the competition in its 20-point win over Hatherleigh on home turf.

In recent weeks the Mozzies have been flying under the radar, but not anymore having taken some big premiership contenders to the sword.

Goals were hard to come by for both teams in the first term and it was Mount Burr who held a six-point lead into the quarter time break.

The Mozzies kicked another two goals to Hatherleigh’s one to double the lead before the main break.

In the third quarter the Eagles came out and kicked three straight to the Mount Burr’s two, but it was the sting in the coffin that gave the Mozzies a 10-point lead at the last change.

Not much changed in the last with Mount Burr knuckling down to kick two more majors to the home sides one to record an 11-point win.

Hatherleigh’s better players were Mark Marriott, Sam Grey, Joseph Ferguson-Lane and Gerard McGrath but they could not do enough to stop Sam Wallis, Josh Fiebig, Dylan Ridley and James Wallis from driving the Mozzies to a tight win as we head towards the pointy end of the Mid South Eastern Football season.

- Buying, renting or selling? Don't go past -