Eagles stunned by determined Murphies

Glencoe v Hatherleigh

Hatherleigh now looks unlikely to win the minor premiership and has yet to secure the double chance following its shock seven-point home ground loss to Glencoe on Saturday in round 15 of the Mid South East Football League.

The sixth-placed Murphies looked to be out-gunned on paper coming into the match but brought a greater will to win to the contest and never relented until the final siren.

The Eagles were woeful in front of goal with a mere 33% conversion rate in a tally of 10.19 while they obviously missed champion ruckman Mark Marriott who was representing the SA Country team on Adelaide Oval.

The home side had “lead in their saddle bags” as they appeared sluggish until the third term after having the two previous Saturdays off due to their scheduled bye and the break for the SA Country Championships in Whyalla.

It was “even stevens” for much of the opening half with Hatherleigh’s sorry tally of 3.13 responsible for their half-time deficit of 15 points.

With ex-coach Zacc Cocks and vice-captain Patrick Mitchell dominating on the ball and Alex Hentschke (five goals) a focal point in attack, Glencoe appeared to have secured a match-winning lead of 27 points mid-way through the third term.

Hatherleigh finally found its mojo and booted four unanswered goals to cut the margin to just two points at the final change.

The Eagles grabbed the lead with a goal within 10 seconds of the start of the final term.

The Murphies had worked too hard to surrender the premiership points and regained the ascendancy for the rest of the match.

Glencoe had begun the month of July with the unhappy prospect of being awarded the wooden spoon for the first time since its formation in 1910.

It then secured four victories for a blemish-free month at the expense of Nangwarry, Robe, Tantanoola and Hatherleigh.

It has earned a week’s break while Hatherleigh faces a danger game at Kongorong.

Kalangadoo v Nangwarry

It was a much-improved cellar dweller Nangwarry which hosted ladder leader Kalangadoo in their second match of 2022.

When they first met on May 14, the winning margin enjoyed by the Magpies was almost 200 points but the Saints were able to halve this margin on the weekend.

The visitors had a game on their hands at quarter time as each team had scored just two goals.

Kalangadoo then showed its class in the second term by adding eight goals while not conceding a score.

The Magpies never looked like losing after the long break and took the opportunity to give some colts their first taste of A Grade football.

Spearhead Michael Krieger booted three goals to take his season’s tally to 62 and he is well placed to win his second consecutive MSEFL goalkicking trophy.

Nangwarry heads to Mount Burr for round 16 on Saturday while Kalangadoo hosts Robe.

Port MacDonnell v Robe

Port MacDonnell avenged its narrow round six home ground loss with an impressive 43-point win at Guichen Bay.

It was very much a battle of defences with one goal and one behind apiece booted in the opening term.

Life was not much easier for the forwards in the ensuing two terms with a total of a mere 10 goals recorded at the final change.

The Demons then kicked away with five majors in the last stanza.

It was not the result wanted by Robe who were marking 35 years since it defeated Port MacDonnell at Hatherleigh for the 1987 premiership.

There were 16 of the 17 surviving Rooster premiership players in attendance.

Port MacDonnell hosts Tantanoola on Saturday while Robe’s slim chances of reaching the finals will depend on the result of its trip to Kalangadoo.

Tantanoola v Kongorong

In round 15 of the MSEFL the game between Tantanoola and Kongorong was touted as a battle for the minor 

It was the Hawks that fired early kicking the first major before scoring another two goals to enjoy a 24-point lead at the first change.

Tantanoola came out firing in the second term by scoring the first two majors to open their account, but Kongorong still held the ascendancy.

Despite kicking against the breeze the Hawks turned the score over on five occasions to head to the main break with a handy 35-point lead.

After the main break the Hawks were relentless and showed the Kongorong faithful what the side can do when the mindset is switched on.

The third term was a good one for the visitors extending their lead to 61 points at the last change while the Tigers only managed to kick two more goals.

The Hawks’ relentless pressure did not stop in the final quarter with the back line standing tall and the forwards capitalising on everything that was presented.

Tantanoola was not a match and could not retain the ball and score despite stringing together some passages of play.

The Hawks ran away with an 85-point win and they hope to carry the momentum into next week’s 16th round.

- Buying, renting or selling? Don't go past -