A permanent marker has recently been erected at the site of one of the earliest European buildings in the South East region.
The pioneering Hunter brothers were pastoralists and they built a rudimentary house at Kalangadoo in 1846.
Alick and James Hunter used their Kalangadoo homestead as the headquarters of their leased area of 60 square miles.
Two of their descendants were present at a sign unveiling ceremony at the Kangaroo Flat Road site where the buildings once stood.
The Millicent-based South East Family History Group paid for the sign which features a photograph of the Hunter buildings as they appeared in 1856.
SEFHG president Noel Boyle gave a short speech on his group’s involvement in the erection and purchase of the sign.
Historian and fourth generation Kalangadoo farmer Nick Hunt spoke on the Hunters.
Due to the uncertainty of the weather the history information was carried out back in Kalangadoo over afternoon tea.
The new sign notes the traditional owners of the land for thousands of years were the Bungandidj Aboriginal peoples.
The SEFHG has erected other historical markers at the site of the long-closed Sebastopol Primary School and at the colonial-era graves at Gran Gran, near Mount Burr.
It is also placing plaques on unmarked graves in the older section of the Millicent cemetery.