Slow start proves costly as South falls short in tough winter conditions

Support local, independent journalism

The SE Voice is the Limestone Coast’s only fully digital publication. Locally owned & operated, we deliver all the latest news & sport direct to your fingertips. We're run by a creative team of local journalists all based in the region. News as we know has changed - we're delivering it first and free. Thank you for your support in keeping local news alive.

Lechelle Earl, owner/editor

Slow start proves costly as South falls short in tough winter conditions

The Cats headed to Blue Lake Sports Park on Saturday and came away with a big win over the Dees in the wet weather.

The Cats adapted well to the wet conditions early on as they got off to a terrific start in the opening quarter.

South on the other hand struggled as they only put up one goal to Casterton’s six, with the Cats holding a 31 point lead at the first change.

In the second term the Dees began to adapt to the weather conditions as they worked hard to dig themselves out of their first term hole.

The Dees kicked three goals as it looked like they were getting back on track while the Cats continued to keep their distance with a two goal quarter.

As the players got out of the rain during the major break the Cats were up and about as they held a 25 point lead.

During the halftime break the Dees made some major adjustments and came out in the second half looking like a new team.

The Dees held the Cats goalless as the away team could only get five points on the board.

South erased the Cats’ 25 point lead in the third, kicking three goals to bring them within eight points heading into the deciding quarter.

Casterton finally got a goal on the board in the fourth term but it would be their only goal which did not help their case when fending off a South team with plenty of momentum.

However the Dees struggled like the Cats in the fourth as they too only kicked a single goal which could not seal the comeback as the home team dropped another win, falling to the Cats by eight points.

Casterton Sandford defeated South Gambier 9.12 (66) to 8.10 (58).

Casterton’s Callum Currie did not let the weather stop him from making an impact as he kicked five goals in the big win.

West v East footy & netball

West Gambier v East Gambier

West Gambier came away with a hard fought win against the Doggies on Saturday at Malseed Park.

The weather played a big factor in the opening quarter as both sides struggled.

West had a lot of chances to do some damage to the Doggies but they could not convert, only coming up with minor scores.

East were able to get a goal on the board as they took a two point lead after the first quarter.

The Roos started to adapt to the conditions in the second period, kicking two goals, however the Doggies struggled to get on the board.

As the teams escaped the rain during halftime the Roos had taken the lead, with the Doggies trailing by 11.

Both sides struggled a bit in the third as there was only a single goal scored by the Roos, while East only registered minor scores, with West leading by 16 points heading into the final term.

The Doggies finally got some things to work in the last quarter, kicking a goal, however the Roos were already too far in front as they too scored in the fourth to seal victory in the tough conditions.

West Gambier defeated East Gambier 4.9 (33) to 2.3 (15).

Young Mitch Cornolo was a standout player for the Roos in the win, doing it all while also kicking a goal.

North Gambier v Millicent

The Saints travelled to Vansittart Park on Saturday and took care of the Tigers in the wet weather.

Both sides struggled with the wet footy in the opening term as the Saints kicked the only goal in the quarter.

The Tigers could not get much going in the forward line as they only came up with a minor score.

This left the Saints up by seven points at the first break.

North continued to struggle in the wet second stanza as they had the same result as the previous quarter.

Millicent started to get things going as they applied the scoreboard pressure, having more shots at goal in the second term.

Adding three majors to their tally, they extended their lead to be up by 28 at half time.

After a half of footy in the wet, the Tigers began to work things out as they put some major scores on the board.

However the Saints continued to move along and still kept a comfortable 38 point lead with a four goal quarter.

Millicent began to slow down in the final term as the Tigers looked to make a comeback.

The Saints failed to kick a goal in the final term while the Tigers kicked three.

However the lead was too much for North and the Saints came away with the 23 point victory.

Millicent defeated North Gambier 8.11 (59) to 5.6 (36).

Millicent young gun Harry Gibbs had a huge game for the Saints, kicking five goals in the win.

Why wait? Get more stories like this delivered straight to your inbox
Join our digital edition mailing list and stay up to date on the latest news, events and special announcements from across the Limestone Coast.

Your local real estate guide - every Thursday


You might also like