Demons’ leader sent to sin bin

The Port MacDonnell Football Club is weighing up its options in the wake of the three-match suspension handed out to its captain Daron McElroy.

 The three-man independent tribunal met in Mount Gambier last week and found the interleague skipper and 2018 Mail Medallist guilty of rough play arising from an incident in the last quarter in the A Grade Mid South East Football League game at Port MacDonnell on June 19.

The game was called off due to a suspected serious injury to Glencoe first-gamer Darcy Williamson.

The teen had  been tackled by McElroy and trainers were concerned at his condition.

An ambulance was called to the scene from Mount Gambier at 4.39pm.

As no play was possible for at least 20 minutes, the AFL governing rules allowed the game to be abandoned and the premiership points awarded to the home team which was well in front by 115 points.

There had been seven minutes left to play in the last quarter.

MSEFL president Peter Mitchell said it was his understanding that Williamson was not seriously injured but protocols will prevent him from being involved in any contact sport for a few weeks.

“The Glencoe Football Club asked SE Football Operations Coordinator Michael Mourbey to investigate the matter,” Mitchell said.

As a result, a tribunal was convened  in Mount Gambier on June 23 with McElroy pleading not guilty.

His advocate was Andy McLean.

As well as leading the club and league and chosen for the Murray South East training squad in 2021, McElroy had been in outstanding form in club football.

His seven appearances in the best players’ list and 16 goals have put him in contention for a second Mail Medal.

However, he is now ineligible for this honour and cannot resume for the Demons until the round 15 home game on July 31 against Nangwarry.

Port MacDonnell president Darryl Jones told The SE Voice his club had an obligation to its player to explore all avenues in response to the tribunal outcome.

- Buying, renting or selling? Don't go past -