Electrical fault blamed for devastating house fire

Electrical fault blamed for devastating house fire

Fire has caused an estimated $600,000 damage to a Mount Gambier home.

Three MFS and three CFS crews were called to Altinio Dive just before 9am today.

On arrival the firefighters saw flames coming from the rear of the home, with smoke also issuing from the single story property.

Twenty-two firefighters took 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.

One occupant had self evacuated and was treated by SA Ambulance Service crews.

Fire investigators have attended and the cause is believed to have been an electrical fault from a power board used in a bedroom.

The MFS has issued a warning about safe electrical practices within the home.

“Never daisy chain electrical items like multiple power boards and extension cords together,” a spokesperson said.

“Overloading power sockets with multiple electrical items can lead to overheating and result in a fire in your home.

“Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for usage and maintenance of any electrical items.”

Why wait? Get more stories like this delivered straight to your inbox
Join our digital edition mailing list and stay up to date on the latest news, events and special announcements from across the Limestone Coast.

Your local real estate guide - every Thursday


You might also like