Bulldogs have day out

Bulldogs have day out

East Gambier claimed its maiden Dycer Constructions Big Bash title on Sunday afternoon with an impressive day of power hitting and tight bowling for the first time champions.

The side won back to back matches on Sunday to claim an impressive title after finishing runners up the previous year.

East Gambier v Penola

After sneaking into the finals in the last round Penola was always going to be the underdogs against East Gambier and the Doggies proved why.

East Gambier won the toss and elected to bat first and it nearly started in disaster with Ben Hentshcke dropped first ball of the match.

Harrison Evans was unable to build a big opening stand with Hentschke as he was given out LBW on four with Michael Waters taking the wicket.

The wicket brought Jacob Carger to the crease and together with Hentschke the pair took the game away from Penola.

The pair found the boundary often and rotated the strike well, Hentschke brought up his 50 off just 33 balls with his innings including seven fours and a six.

Hentschke’s innings was brought to an end in the most unluckiest of fashions, with Carger hitting the ball past the fingers of the bowler and onto the stumps with Hentschke out of his crease.

After Hentschke’s dismissal Carger continued to score big, Emerson Marks provided good support but was bowled by Waters trying to get the run rate going.

Jake Wight came to the crease for what was an incredible cameo, Wight hit three fours and two sixes in the final five balls of the innings finishing 32 not out off just 10 balls.

Carger was impressive for his 75 not out off 53 balls including nine fours and two sixes, as East Gambier’s innings finished 3/190 leaving Penola with a massive chase.

Penola had a good start to the innings at 0/17 after the first two overs, but James Alexander was unable to pair with Jack Mullan for long with Alexander caught by Ben Hentschke off the bowling of Alex Hentschke for three.

Captain Emerson Marks provided the next scalp for East Gambier with Jack Mullan stumped after some quick glove-work from Alex Hill.

The wicket of Mullan for 18 was a massive turning point in the match as he possessed the fire power to chase down such a large total.

A full toss to Waters from Ben Hentschke found its way into the safe hands of Alex Hentschke in the deep, and then a Ben Hentschke wrongun beat Mark Smith first ball, bowled for a golden duck.

Spin continued to dominate with the ball as Marks picked up a second wicket of Tom Moyle-Read on 11.

Drew Clayfield became Ben Hentschke’s third wicket of the day with Marks taking the catch as Penola was in serious trouble at 6/47.

Jack Schulz was the best of the lower order, however he lost partners quickly with Joshua Smith and Joshua Doyle going cheaply.

Schulz’s innings was brought to an end on 20 with Liam Turley taking his first wicket of the match.

Turley picked up a second, bowling Maccoll for a four ball duck and confirming East Gambier’s place in the final.

Penola’s innings finished at 10/75 as East Gambier claimed a 115 run win.

Jacob Carger and Ben Hentschke were the standouts for East Gambier with impressive innings with the bat and Hentschke taking three important wickets.

North Sportsman’s v East Gambier

With North Sportsman’s entering the match favourites, East Gambier won the toss and opted to bat which was a big win early for the underdogs.

North started strong with the ball, Isaac Mulraney claiming Harrsion Evans LBW for a six ball duck, and a brilliant piece of fielding from Nicholas Brown snared the big wicket of Jacob Carger for two.

Ben Hentschke was on track for a repeat of his first match heroics charging to 19, but he was caught behind off Declan Kenny’s bowling as the Tigers clawed back the match.

Jake Wight and Emerson Marks built a massive partnership in the middle overs.

Wight hit some massive sixes and before long Marks joined in the fun, the pair taking the match away from North and firmly in East Gambier’s favour.

Wight fell short of a 50 caught for Kenny’s second wicket of the day, finishing his innings 41 off 31 with four sixes.

Hentschke and Marks continued to find runs as the pair batted out the 20 overs.

Marks finished 45 not out off 42 in a true captain’s knock, while Hentschke provided a productive cameo of 36 off 21 balls including three fours and two sixes.

East Gambier set North Sportsman’s a total of 151 to chase in what was always going to be a hard run chase.

At 0/20 North was in a good position early but both openers Alex Hutton and Nicholas Brown were dismissed in quick succession.

Marks then picked up a massive wicket of Elliot Fisher caught on five in the deep by Riley Flamank.

The following over was another massive wicket for East Gambier with Nick McInerney coming down to a Ben Hentschke delivery and being stumped by Alex Hill for 15.

Kenny and Mulraney were both dismissed cheaply as North slumped to 6/48 after 12 overs.

Brad Robinson and Thomas Madigan were the next wickets to fall as East Gambier closed in on the win.

The run rate started to become unreachable for North, Nick Copping hit a few long bombs but was caught trying to keep the run rate going.

At nine down Tim Young and Mathew Robinson batted out the final overs as North’s 20 overs finished 9/65.

It was a historic moment for East Gambier as the side claimed its first ever big bash title after 14 years of the competition.

Emerson Marks led from the front on the day and was awarded man of the match for his excellent performance.

Marks was crucial in the first innings scoring 45 not out and was also important with the ball in hand taking important wickets early.

Why wait? Get more stories like this delivered straight to your inbox
Join our digital edition mailing list and stay up to date on the latest news, events and special announcements from across the Limestone Coast.

- Buying, renting or selling? Don't go past -


You might also like