Redbacks face off against West

The seventh round of the 2022 Lower South East Hockey Association season was headlined by some big clashes between West and Redbacks.

The rivals continue to fight it out for top spot in the Division 1 Women’s competition and reigning premiers West came out firing from the first whistle.

They hit the ground running by scoring an early goal through a defensive error from Redbacks.

West was then able to add a second goal shortly after thanks to Gemma Ballintyne.

Redbacks were on the back foot but began to string together some attacking plays to make things interesting.

They had a couple of opportunities, but they were shut down by West defenders Sarah Mutch and Dana Jones.

Another defensive error before half time resulted in a penalty stroke to West, which was convincingly scored by Mercedes Theobald.

The latest strike meant Redbacks entered the half time break deflated 3-0 down.

The second half saw Redbacks being able to play to their potential with midfielders Anna Mitchell, Steph Wighton and Eliza Beck showing some run.

This increased intensity resulted in a number of circle penetrations as Redbacks held the upper hand for most of the half.

The side’s strong work resulted in one goal scored by Lauren Manser after completing several penalty corners.

However, Redbacks’ momentum was broken by a late quick break, which gave West a further goal, scored by Angela Broad.

It was the final piece of the puzzle for West as it strolled to a convincing 4-1 win.

Both West and Redbacks faced off in the Division 1 Men as well and the pair began the game aspiring to take control.

West managed to hit the scoreboard within the first half of the quarter and gain the upper hand.

But the breakthrough triggered a fierce response by Redbacks, who then stepped up and put their foot on the gas, scoring a goal of their own to level the scoreboard.

Forwards Damien Little and Jarrod Sanders were providing Redbacks with countless efforts going forward, causing lots of stress for the West defenders.

Gavin Robertson and Patrick O’Hehir were able to keep a close ship, locking the ball into the West offence with numerous short-corner attempts in a row.

After many goes, West was finally able to finish off a corner effort which brought the side an enjoyable 3-1 lead coming into half time.

The game continued at the fast pace when play resumed and West managed to capitalise on three more goals in the second half to seal the result.

Redbacks took advantage of West slowing down in the last parts of the game, with Jason McKinnon slotting a hit in the top right corner.

But West still had the last laugh with the scoreboard reading a convincing 6-2 win in its favour.

The Lower South East Hockey Association will take a break this weekend as the Under 13 State Championships taking centre stage in Adelaide.

- Buying, renting or selling? Don't go past -